Monday 29 August 2016

WEEKEND WITH MY BOY


So after a 68 day period only seeing him 6 days I was looking forward to spending the Bank Holiday weekend with Adam – even my little brother saw him more than me during this time :’(. Friday was a long drive up, leaving work at five to hopefully get on the M40 before too much traffic but ended up following google map’s spontaneous decision to make me round the back roads. Which probably ended up slower due to the number of tractors & lorries I was following.

Arriving into Sheffield at half nine, I parked up near a pub to collect my drunk boyfriend who had been there since five with some of his friends (who were actually my friends first :P) before going home. Sleep was very broken as Adam had to go to the loo a lot in the night, which he later told me was actually him going to be sick. He did no complaining as we made our way the next morning down to parkrun (stopping off to pick up a much needed 12p banana from Morrisons). I was looking to get around 20minutes for the parkrun even though I hadn’t come close since about two years ago. I started fast (or what I thought was fast before looking at my pace and realizing it wasn’t fast enough!) but luckily after a km or so the route at Sheffield Hallam double backs on itself and you get a downhill wooo! I’d already sussed out the competition and was closing in on a skinny blonde girl, who later Adam mentioned how he knew I’d notice her and be angry if I didn’t beat her – BUT IT’S OKAY I did ;). I was running with a guy for the second lap who decided now was the time to strike conversation which led to him declaring he would pace me even though I was sure a few minutes before I was going to overtake him as he was slowing.

Eventually Mr. Hungover (aka Adam) came jogging up to run the last part with me as I unfortunately couldn’t keep up with Mr I Will Pace You. I ended up running 20.20 which was a course pb and so I was relatively happy. We jogged back home (UP A HUGE HILL) before some bacon sandwiches. Later on we went to the University Gym to play some badminton – always a tense sport as I am far to competitive & energetic. We managed to make it through 3 games to 21 and two games to 11 without any arguments, just a few grumpy faces. Mostly from me as I lost and always by two points which was MOST annoying. After this, quick shower before a walk into Sheffield for some bargains & a cuppa at the Ink & Well. HUGE DOWNPOUR of rain as we walked home so we tried to shelter under the umbrella whilst walking back which was a struggle & left both of us with one wet shoulder. We had bought two world maps to plan some travelling so Adam spent the rest of the afternoon obsessing over this and quizzing me on capital cities before cooking me dinner :) and watching Titanic (which is THREE HOURS LONG??).

On Sunday Adam planned a long run in the peaks which we got round to at about 11am. After a slow start with a gate every 10 metres we got to the uphill part of the run on a really rough rocky track. I was slowly getting more and more grumpy and it took a turn for the worst when Adam went over on his ankle so we had to take a stop to chill out and eat some Fruit Pastilles. We had reached the top and it was an undulating run up to Mam Tor which had some good views, just too many people. We stormed along the ridge (as it was mostly downhill so I as loving life) and I was feeling so keen I suggested going up to Loose Edge to complete the ridge. BIG MISTAKE. As Adam pointed out later the Strava segment was called: Mam Tor to Ankle Snapper so coming off the ridge we had another incident with Adam’s ankles so had to walk off the side. A bit annoying as I was looking forward to some fast downhill to improve the pace but it was such a lovely run I didn’t want everything to end in disaster. We held it together and Adam even managed to catch some pokemon on the way home which was a bonus. Pancakes were made, covered in golden syrup & sugar before a nap to help us recover (definitely hit the ‘old couple’ stage where we need an afternoon nap!). In the evening we went for a walk to the Botanical Gardens to catch more Pokemon before Adam cooked another scrummy dinner & we watched Think Like A Man on the sweaty leather sofas.

Monday was our last day, which I tried to push to the back of my mind as I crept out for a morning run. Adam was resting the ankle and whilst half asleep pointed out the key I needed to get back in. WHICH WAS THE WRONG ONE. When I finally got back in the house we got ready to go out to Chatsworth House where Adam had booked to take me. It was a glorious day and I felt very spoilt. We started with a walk around the grounds, Adam took the map (clearly trying to impress me with any map skills) and we went exploring. After numerous selfies we got to the maze which we began with confidence – I mean how hard can it be? Famous last words as we struggled to find the centre after 15 minutes of dead ends – convincing ourselves there was no actual way in! We finally made it and successfully made it back out when Adam found a rope for tug of war – he obviously won and afterwards strutted around like a 90kg body builder.

When we’d completed the garden adventure we went to have Afternoon tea which was GORGEOUS (and very posh!). We both got a bit distracted with the number of pokemon and I thought it was going to be a nasty patch when Adam ran out of Pokeballs but don’t worry – we persevered, Pokeball numbers increased & bellies were full. We then moved onto the house, finding the violin (SPOILER – which isn’t actually a violin but a painting) making Adam happy as he saw it as a painting whereas I thought it was real. A last minute walk in the gardens before it was time to go home :( Cramming in some toast to last me for the drive home, I packed and then left for Camberley after a lovely weekend – only 3 weeks until the next weekend together!!